Hi Everyone Mo here with a mid challenge shot of inspiration for our BRIGHT CHALLENGE, chosen by our very talented Amanda.
I attended an Anne Brooke workshop over at Creative Threads in March where we learnt how to make a wall hanging by printing, collaging then stitching. For our challenge i decided to try my hand at a larger version using bright colours.
I downloaded a few vintage papers from our sponsor for this months challenge, The Old Design Shop
Used a technique that i have wanted to try for ages by Andy Skinner. Here is the link to a previous post showing how i made the papers i am using for this project.
All the Media paints, Liquid Glass, Weathered Wood Crackle and the Matt Decou-Page Glue and more are from DecoArt. The stamps and stencils are all by Andy Skinner.
Tear up the papers and adhere them with a glue stick to a piece of blank newsprint paper. Choose the length of newsprint you want your wall hanging to be and collage as you go along adding the colours and patterns as you wish. Don’t add too much glue it is just to hold the pieces in place until you sew them down. My wall hanging measures 24 inches long by 7.5 inches wide.
I like to save tea bags to craft/sew onto, when dry cut them open and remove the leaves, you can get some wonderful patterns to play with. Round tea bags have been coloured using three of the transparent colours from DecoArt and then dry brushed with my favourite Quinacridone violet.
When complete add a little stamping and stencilling. Your fibres, fabrics, metallic strips and more can be added once your piece has been sewn. You can add some before you sew your hanging just make sure that your project is still thin enough to put through a sewing machine. Add stitching over the top of your paper edges to keep them in place.
Dolloped a small amount of DecoArt Modelling paste and added some Suze Weinberg Bedazzles called Macarena and Personal Impressions Gold Sparkle embossing powder. When dry i heated it and the gold looked amazing but i went over the top using the Metallic Lustres as i liked the shine much more.
Cut and embossed a few of the words from a Spellbinders die, used the Quinacridone violet to paint them through the die, removed them and don’t they look fab.
So, here is the final and completed wall hanging, i sprayed and flicked some of the paint from the yellow DecoArt Mister as OH said it needed a little more bright.
I do hope my wall hanging has inspired you to join in with our Bright Challenge.
I hope this post has inspired you to get creative and come and join in with our Bright challenge, you could win 3 images of your choice from the Old Design Shop on Etsy!
See you all on the next Challenge.